Content is the lifeline of digital marketing, except design and development of the site, it is the content which makes the website standout and influence visitors to stay and explore the site for a long time. Here content does not mean only text, rather it can be video, images, sound or any combination like images and text, sound and text, and video and text. Text is the most common type of content which we see on the website. So here we will discuss particular on text. Actually, there is plenty of misconception about SEO friendly content, particular about its length. Many people say that the ideal length of the content is 1000, where some advocates it should at least between 1500-2500 words. Well, whatever apart from any guesswork, here in this blog we will try to find the genuine fact. Now SEO company is emphasizing on comprehensive and informative content because…..
- The longer contents are valuable and informative than shorter length.
- A longer content keeps visitors engaged on site for a long time, which is considered good for SEO point of view and also reduces bounce rate.
- Long and informative content increase organic traffic.
- Long articles, blogs and contents perform better on search engine.
- People love to share long articles on social media.
- The longer the content, the greater the chance writers can cover more aspect of the topic.
- Long and comprehensive content increase selling price of website or blog.
- Long and informative content not only make search engine happy, but also user would like to come back, if they find something meaningful and valuable.
Now lets come to our million dollar question, “What should be the exact length of the content.” First of all, we want to clear that there is no concrete rule about the length of the content. Plenty of factors need to consider before writing the content.
Subject you are choosing to write the content-
We think this is a most important point, the type of post almost decides the length of the content. If you are maintaining a news blog, then you can’t stretch it because generally visitors don’t like to read unnecessary information. On the other side if you are writing on a special topic like Best Web Design And Development Company then to cover each aspect of the topic you need to write a longer and comprehensive post. And at last but not least the object of the post also matters. Sometimes it happens that objective of a blog post is fulfilled within very limited words. Classified ads are the best examples, where presenting or promoting the services in only a few sentences.
What search engine wants
When you are doing content marketing, then you have to understand the search engine also. Google prefers and promotes long and comprehensive post. Post that length is between 1500-2500 words, appears top 5 positions on the search engine result page. Just for example, type any query on Google like, “How to increase height.” You will find that the length of the post which is appearing at first position is 2660 words, second position is 1163 words, third position is 1705 words, fourth position is 2664 words and fifth position is 2090 words.
Note- It does not mean that content which is more than 2000 words will rank in the first position of Google. Google considers plenty of factors to rank the site. Lengthy articles are just an indication that Google prefers and promotes such posts.
Google Panda and weak content- On Feb 2011 Google launched Panda to punish the sites that have low quality, shorter, and duplicate content. Although Google is not against the short articles, but if length of the post is less than 500 words, then such type of short post doesnot consider good for ranking. Additionally, long articles keep the site safe from any Panda updates.
What research says about length of the content-
According to the study by the high authoritative website like moz, searchenginejournal,medium, and hubpost, they find the following fact.
- Posts that are more than 2000 words, get more social media attention and people love to share it across different social channels.
- The ideal length of blogs and articles are 1800 words.
What to do to create long post
Writing 1800 words is not going to so easy, it is tedious as well as daunting. Additionally, pressure of tight deadlines. But with incessant toil and discipline you can achieve it. Here we are sharing some tips, which will make your job easy.
- Write some post in advance. If you are targeting 3 articles in a week to publish then make sure that you have 6 posts finished before start publishing. In this way you can maintain your schedule.
- Decide title of the post in advance. It will be better, if you decide the post title for the whole month in advance.
- Instead of writing a big post, split the bigger post into several parts. It is easier for writers as well as readers.
- Make short paragraph and give special attention to the formatting of text.